Monday, July 21, 2008

MANIFESTOS: Öyvind Fahlström, "Take Care of the World"

When I stopped in NYC for 5 days on Sunset's May tour, I hung some quality time with my cousin Liz, a talented furniture designer, and her boyfriend, Joel Stohr, an amazing artist himself and an instructor at the Parsons School of Design. Liz and I strolled Manhattan, managing to hit an open mike night ( I played first ), the New Museum, and some NYC bar where Lincoln apprarently drank... got sawdust on the floor and old photos on the wall and the strongest mustard I've ever tried, but seems to be mostly frat boyz in there these days. At the New Museum, I picked up a bright-yellow pamphlet originally printed in 1966 by the preeminent artists of the Fluxus movement. Contained within, I found a moving manifesto by Öyvind Fahlström; I've scanned it here. The spirit is undeniable, I think.
===========================================







No comments: